LIVE VIRTUAL POE Academy
200 Hour Alliance Certified Yoga Teacher Training with Jess Wood, assisted by Lindsay Pearce, select required classes with Julie Gurevich
POE Virtual Yoga Teacher Training 2020:
When and Where:
June 24, 25
June 30, July 1
July 7, 8, 9
July 14, 15, 16
Tuesdays 9:30 AM Required Class - Session Begins 11:00 AM- 2:00 PM
Wednesdays 9:30 AM Required Class - Session Begins 11:00 AM- 2:00 PM
Thursdays 9:30 AM Required Class - Session Begins 11:00 AM- 2:00 PM
4 WEEK SESSION PRICE: $2,000
TRAINING AT HOME TOGETHER RATE: First family member $2,000, every additional family member $1,000
WHY TEACH YOGA?
We practice yoga because simply, it makes our lives off the mat better – we are more aware, healthier, happier and more well-rounded overall. Knowing yoga's amazing power to change our own lives and open us to our truest and highest potential, we're inspired to share it with others. And in sharing it with others, we come to learn even more about ourselves, to more clearly see the fullness of our lives, to live more consciously, to give more lovingly.
We teach yoga because we know from our own experience that it can make everyone's life better, regardless of age or condition there is something to offer for everyone. With over ten years of a steady practice and a strong background in science, we now chose to write a manual on teaching yoga and to train yoga teachers because we believe in intelligently and passionately sharing the practice.
If you share these values, that yoga makes life better and that yoga is for everyone, then we invite you to explore what we have to offer. Just like our lives, yoga is constantly evolving. By stepping into the path of a teacher, you're opening to more fully participating in the creative evolution of this ancient practice that you already know makes a world of difference in millions of people's lives. Become part of making that difference.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
Develop the Skills and Knowledge for a Lifetime of Teaching and Practicing:
● Develop a deeper passion and appreciation for yoga as a transformative practice.
● Study, refine and deepen your own yoga practice along with other highly motivated yoga teacher training students.
● Learn to really teach yoga - not just a yoga brand or single style, but yoga.
● Gain a thorough and practical understanding of the major asanas, including their alignment principles, variations, modifications, contra-indications, risks and benefits, enabling you to teach with confidence in a variety of approaches, including vinyasa flow, hatha, alignment-based practice, yoga for athletes and other specialized styles.
● Practical yoga anatomy that's of actual use in teaching yoga - how the body is structured, held together, moves and stabilizes - in a way that makes practical sense in teaching real human beings.
● Learn the tools and skills needed for effectively and clearly teaching yoga to all levels of students and various student intentions and conditions.
● Learn how to plan classes based on clear principles of sequencing within and between each group of asanas.
● Learn the art and science of giving hands–on adjustments and other forms of assistance, one of the essential tools in guiding students in their yoga practices.
● Learn to work with injuries, pregnancy and other specific or unique student needs in your yoga classes.
● Explore the received wisdom from ancient yoga traditions and develop a well-rounded knowledge of yoga philosophy, ethics, history and lifestyle practices.
● Learn the business of yoga, facts about being an independent contractor, how to insure yourself and how to teach in a variety of settings - yoga studios, gyms, businesses, schools, community centers, retreat centers and more.
● Gain extensive teaching experience through practice teaching, philanthropic classes and mentoring.
PERSONAL GROWTH & TEACHING YOGA:
Yoga is a process for learning about ourselves and opening to our fullest potential. It helps us to expand our awareness and transform our lives in ways that make us happier, healthier and feeling more whole within ourselves and in our relationships with others in the world. Embracing these basic values is the starting point for becoming a good (scratch that GREAT) yoga teacher.
Participants in this program will invariably experience a deep and lasting sense of personal transformation as all of the elements of yoga become clearer and better integrated as you explore every aspect of yoga in your personal practice. In contrast to teacher training programs that emphasize attainment, competition or mastery, in this program we look to explore, refine, deepen, expand and learn without end. The primary source of this transformative learning is one's personal practice, and it is in the practice of yoga that we gain the most insight into how best to share the practice with others. Because yoga is a process for self-transformation, there is nothing to master, no end to what we can learn and no limit to how much we can grow and share.
DEVELOPING BEST PRACTICES:
While yoga practice is the key to developing as a teacher, the POE Academy methodically prepares you to teach with creativity, confidence, and competence. This program is designed to give you the skills and knowledge to continuously evolve as a teacher based on your own evolution, interests, and intentions and to ensure that you develop and integrate a comprehensive foundation and set of skills into the wider frame of your life so that you flourish as an informed practitioner and creative teacher of yoga for the rest of your life. This takes time, effort and commitment. Starting from wherever you are in your knowledge, skills and experience, this program will give you the opportunity to begin your progressive development into becoming the best yoga teacher you can be.
MEET YOUR GUIDES:
Jess Wood - E-RYT
Having initially studied forensic chemistry at Pace University, NYC in 2006, Jess immediately took an interest in Anatomy. That paired with having been a former athlete, avid runner, always active and very passionate about fitness she sought after solace in yoga to soothe injuries caused by over exertion. What was supposed to be just a complementary activity accidentally turned into a full-blown love affair with a much deeper connection beneath the surface.
In 2012, Jess obtained her 200 hour Yoga Alliance Certification under the tutelage of Heather Sheridan and Julie Gurevich. In 2014, Jess obtained additional hours through various intensive/specialized workshops with Indaba and Karma Kids (both in London). In 2015, Jess completed an additional 300 hours of teacher training via the POE ACADEMY in New Jersey with David Regelin, Dylan Werner, Ben Sears, Phillip Askew, Ivy Kaminer, Matt Giordano, Abby & Nevine (of Katonah Yoga in NYC). Emphasizing yoga’s power to transform not just the body but also the mind and the spirit, in 2016, Jess completed her Yoga Nidra certification in Minneapolis with Devanadi. Jess’s classes are challenging and build from an anatomical foundation of showing us just how strong we really are. It is her philosophy that yoga shouldn’t be intimidating but should push us and that students should always leave class feeling better than when they first arrived.
In recent years, Jess has traveled extensively taking and teaching classes, workshops and/or retreats in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Calgary, Vancouver, London, South of France, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Arizona, California, Colorado, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Chicago, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica (Santa Teresa) in various languages and styles. Jess continues to grow and explore as a student, currently engulfing herself in Clinical Sports Anatomy, as many of her clients have been collegiate and professional athletes. Her favorite people to learn from are her students.
Julie Gurevich - E-RYT
Julie began her journey into yoga after years of competitive distance running where she competed at an NCAA level. Seeking a source of cross training she stumbled upon Bikram’s Beginner’s Hot Yoga class; a 26 posture, 90 minute class practiced in a 105 degree heated room. Julie was hooked. She graduated from Bikram’s teacher training in LA in June 2002 and went on to open her own studio, Yoga Zone in Millburn, NJ. After practicing the Bikram series for several years, Julie began to yearn for more.
This desire for something greater pushed her to explore several other styles of yoga which is how she found her true place in the yoga world; Vinyasa! “It just opened me up, physically and spiritually in a way I had never thought possible!” With this new found passion and some life changes, Julie closed Yoga Zone in the fall of 2005 and went to train with Baron Baptiste in 2006. She has also studied under Rolf Gates and Vinnie Marino over the years. Julie has traveled and practiced all over the world. Teaching Vinyasa allows Julie to utilize her enthusiasm and creativity to craft challenging and fun classes.
Julie puts a tremendous amount of emphasis on proper alignment and injury prevention, all while teaching a strong and fulfilling vinyasa flow. Most importantly, Julie brings smiles to her students’ faces. Julie is certified to teach pre-natal yoga and is a Holistic Nutritionist Counselor through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in NYC. Julie continues to run marathons and half marathons and train daily. When she’s not running or doing yoga she can be found hanging out with her 3 children and husband.
1. Ask Questions! Get more information! Email us at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
2. Read below about Requirements, Fees & Registration.
3. Check out the sessions dates/times and compare with your calendar.
4. What are you waiting for?! APPLY!!!
Price Includes: Unlimited classes at any POE location beginning June 21st - July 18th), Training Manual, 200 Hr Alliance Certification upon completion.
*Final Payment Due no later than June 15th 2020
● Mandatory to join all virtual sessions live on zoom. While it is possible to make up a session in future training, it is not guaranteed. You will not be alliance certified until all categories/hour requirements are met.
● 5 classes a week logged at POE for the duration of the training (4 Weeks total beginning June 24th 2020 ending with Graduation on July 16th 2020).
● You must audit 1 class per week. (or a total of 4 to be completed.)
● Required Reading throughout training: This is Water by David Foster Wallace, Gita Wisdom: An Introduction to India’s Essential Yoga Text by Joshua M. Greene, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda, & Non Violent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall B. Rosenberg - Any format of book is acceptable (i.e. audible or text) - 150 word response to each book due via pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org before certification will be rewarded. Please be sure to include YOUR NAME and BOOK TITLE for each response. (4 books total)
● Required Text for training: Yoga Anatomy, 2nd Edition by Leslie Kaminoff
● Suggested Reading: Staying Healthy with the Seasons by Elson Hass, The Alchemist – Paulo Coehlo, Teaching People Not Poses – 12 Principles for Teaching Yoga with Integrity by Jay Fields, The Power of Focusing – Guide to Emotional Self-Healing by Ann Weiser Cornell, PH.D
HOW TO APPLY
Personal Application Letter
Your Personal Application Letter is an essay of 1 to 3 standard pages. This document should express who you are as a yogi (yoga practitioner) and who you are as a person. Feel free to include significant events and inspirations (including people, artists, writers, historical moments, etc.) that have shaped who you are today. Please include the same for your life as a yogi: what training, teachings, and classes have you done, and most importantly, what of these experiences have inspired you most. In short, who have you been, who are you now, and who are you becoming? As a person. As a yogi.
Please make this about what is closest to you. This letter is not a resume about showing how experienced you are and how much you have done from the outside. It is about the organic process of becoming on the inside. This is to help the training faculty understand you.
Requirements for Program Entry
1. Minimum of six months of regular yoga Practice or Program Director’s consent.
2. Applicants should be 18+ years of age.
3. Candidates must have a mature understanding of themselves and others.
Maturity is based on the applicants’ reasonable capacity to exercise:
1. Commitment and Personal Follow Through
2. Understanding of basic human logic and emotion. (Ability to discern emotions from facts, and both from judgments.)
3. Ability and Willingness for Empathy: The ability to take on another person’s point of view and set your own temporarily aside when the environment is safe to do so.
4. Open Mind: The ability to seriously consider that your first thought, emotion, or judgment does not accurately reflect reality.
5. Have completed the POE Academy Application Form which includes the Personal Application Letter (described above, link below)